Thursday, June 26, 2014

Week 2 and I'm practically fluent in Korean!

I hope you all can sense the sarcasm in my letter title. Korean just keeps getting more challenging, but I truly do love learning it! It is actually coming along quite well little by little and I fully attribute that to the spirit that is helping me.

This past week was INCREDIBLE! Last P-Day our district got to play sand volleyball (which anyone who knows me knows volleyball is my absolute favorite) so that was a blast! apparently it's a Korean district tradition to play every P-day so that is always something to look forward to. We also got to do a session as a district in the provo temple which was amazing! Today we are going to do sealings which I have never done before so I am looking forward to that.

DAD I HOPE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY ON SUNDAY AND I HOPE YOU RECEIVED MY LETTER. It sounded like momma and the kids spoiled you which is good:)

Sunday night devotional Janice Kapp Perry and her husband spoke to us so that was a neat experience! It was quite entertaining when she told a story of how her husband asked her out in music class by telling her that her lips looked like they were made for more than playing the clarinet! haha and then her husband got up and gave her a big smooch on the lips while she was speaking at the devotional! haha

This last week my investigator Pheko became my second korean teacher! His real name is Brother Scoville and I really enjoy the way he teaches! One thing that I really gained a testimony of this last week is that I am not here to learn Korean, I am here to learn the language of the spirit. This is for all you wondering how Korean is coming along! One day my teacher sent us into the computer lab and my teacher told us that we had one hour to learn 20 words and 2 phrases and then come back and tell him what we had learned. For some this may seem easy but if you could fully understand the extent of Korean phrases and how challenging it is to learn you would see why I somewhat doubted my ability to do it. Our teacher told us to seek the spirit and to have faith that we could do it. I said a prayer before and pleaded that the spirit could be with me while I learned the phrases and I was able to do it as I relied on the spirit! I learned all 20 words and both phrases. The Spirit is incredible. This is why I love being a missionary so much.

One thing that has been tough this past week is that my poor companion has been pretty sick with a cough and possibly bronchitis. On Monday we got to walk out of the MTC gates into the real world to go get her some medication. It was fun to feel like a real missionary walking the streets with people waving at us. She has been so good to continue to work hard despite how difficult it may be to be sick at this time. She seems to be improving so hopefully she will feel better soon!

Monday night I got to Meet my new mission president and his wife! It was really fun to finally meet them. They have a 16 year old son who will be moving to Korea with them. I could really feel their strong spirits as they bore testimony to us.

Tuesday Night Devotional was the most amazing experience I have had here at the MTC yet. We got to hear from D Todd Christofferson. Also Sitting on the stand was Elder Bednar, Oaks, Ballard, Anderson, and Nelson of the quorum of the 12! I had never been that close to so many apostles of the Lord before and the spirit truly testified to me that they are men called of God. I also sang in the choir for that devotional so it was really neat experience. 

I am so incredibly grateful for all the love and support I have felt while I have been in the MTC so far. Although its only been 2 weeks, being a missionary and learning Korean is the most challenging thing I have been faced with in my life. (probably mostly because of the pressure I put on myself to be perfect at it) It's hard being away from everyone I love so dearly and I know it is only going to get more challenging. Monday night was the first time I shed a tear because I missed you all so much but the next day I prayed so hard because I was feeling discouraged and during personal study my prayer was answered. I was reading in 1 nephi 17 when nephi was commanded to build a ship and no one believed he could do it. His brethren were murmuring and said in vs 21 "yeah and we might have been happy". Sadly, I kind of felt like that was my attitude on Monday night. I was thinking about home and dwelling on the past. During this personal study I was reminded that this mission I am on is not about me. It all about Christ and I know that more happiness than I have ever experienced before awaits me as I serve God and help bring souls unto Christ. I Know that if I have a good attitude, always remember my purpose and forget myself, I will have a great and successful mission. 

I love you all so much and I pray for you everyday! I love being a missionary! 

Love, Sister Hurley


My District playing volleyball on pday! yay

Gold Fish Snack Pack! Aunt Teresa sent these! We love them.


We are weird. Temple Pic

Elder Murdoch in my District

My companion is a goof. Lover her!

The girls going to the same mission that came the same day! I love them so much!

Me and Sister Eyring.
 A girl I met at BYU who I love so much! Little did I know she is actually President
 Eyering's granddaughter!
My friend Sister Gazdik from BYU!

Meeting my mission president and his wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment