Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Transfers!

HELLOOOOOO!

It sounds like general conference was so amazing as always and I'm so jealous that you all get you see it a week before me! I'm trying to prepare myself spiritually this week so that I can receive the guidance I personally need. I love that although we all have different questions and concerns, we can receive personal revelation through our lives as we watch general conference. What a blessing that is!

This last week was so amazing! I know I say that every week, but really! It was so great! And I am happier than I have ever been!

Last Tuesday we had the opportunity to run a 5k with the other missionaries in our mission. Our branch president and His wife really enjoy being healthy and exercise so this is the second 5k that we have been able to do. It was such a fun day. After the race we got to play basketball and volleyball (the best sports in the world) and I was loving every minute.

ALSO, On Thursday night I found out that my companion for this transfer would be sister Yanghanbit! I was able to go on an exchange with her a few weeks ago and get to know her a little bit. She is SOOOO sweet and I am so excited! She is from Chunan and has 3 younger sisters. We have already had so much fun together!! I am so excited for this coming transfer. I have been praying that my next companion would be perfectly obedient and love missionary work and let's just say, I know that God answers prayers!! We have already been able to see miracles in the one day we have spent together! We were able to make 2 appointments this week with 2 former investigators that the missionaries haven't been able to meet for a while because they both got too busy. I have a feeling that we will be companions for my last two transfers and I hope that it's true!

Sister Kim go transfer to... HOME:( She finished her mission and is headed back to Seoul. It has been such a fast transfer! Sister Kim has taught me so much about how to show love to others and how to have fun while doing missionary work. She really trys to make everyday a great day and make the best of any hard situation. I have been able to learn so much from her and was so grateful for the transfer we had to serve together! She is already planning her trip to come visit me in America once I get home so I will be looking forward to that!

A few things that happened this past week:

A week and a half ago in Korea there was a huge holiday called 추석 (choosuk) It is kind of like thanksgiving in America. Families gather together and feast and sometimes wear tradition Korean clothing and the grandparents give money to the grandchildren and they eat traditional korean food. It's so fun! So in honor of this holiday we decided to create a branch event this last Saturday to celebrate. It was a lot of fun! We play traditional Korean games, and had a gift exchange, and ate some really good food. Also our investigator Sister Parkhesun came with her two kids which made it even better!

Probably the coolest thing that happened this week was on Sunday. One of My best friends ever Sister Katie Brunson, who is serving her mission in Italy right now had an investigator come to Korea to attend an academy in order to learn Korean for 6 weeks and she was able to attend church we us on sunday!!! (that was like the longest sentence ever. sorry) She came 3 hours from Seould so that she could make it to church with us. Her name is Giulia. She is soooo sweet and it was such a miracle to be able to meet her. We decided to teach her and the elders investigator Derrick (who is american) in english for the last hour. It was a really neat experience and the spirit was strong as we taught the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We also had the opportunity to meet a couple in our branch who has recently become less active because they are a little disappointed with the members in our branch. They feel that a lot of the talks that are given, don't focus on what's important and so it makes them not want to come to church. We were able to have a really spiritually filled lesson with them this past week about why attending church is important. The Sacrament. truly the reason that we must attend church every week is the sacrament. Something I have had to rely so much on on my mission. Despite not being able to understand most of the speakers talks during sacrament meeting, it is because of the sacrament that I am still able to have a personal spiritual experience at church. It is the time that we can reflect on our past week and see what we can do to do better and to be better. It is a time of healing and renewing. It is a time that we renew the covenants that we made at baptism and recommit to keep those covenants. We can truly have a spiritual experience at church every week if we remember the importance of the sacrament. I love it so much!

Also this last week our district meeting was focused on how to have a positive attitude while doing missionary work and I was asked to give a talk. How grateful I was for that opportunity because I was able to learn so much as I prepared. One of my favorite quotes that I found while preparing is:
"No matter our circumstances, no matter our challenges or trials, there is something in each day to embrace and cherish. There is something in each day that can bring gratitude and joy if only we will see and appreciate it." I love this quote by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. I have come to learn on my mission that although we can't choose are circumstance, happiness IS a choice. we can choice how we react to the circumstances that we are in. As we learn to focus on the things that we have control over and don't worry about what we don't have control over, we will be more happy. As a missionary, we can't control if our investigators accept the gospel or not, but we can control how hard we work and how much love and service we give to those around us. I know God truly loves us so much and He wants us to be happy. If we aren't happy, than we don't truly understand the plan that God has provided for us. Sorry to go all preachy on you but I know that the gospel if Jesus Christ is truly central God's plan for us. And as we follow it, we will find true joy in our lives.

Sorry this email is kinda all over the place. basically, life is absolutely fantastic! We are working hard to help this incredible area. I'm praying I can finish my mission here because I love it so much.

I hope you are all healthy and happy! I love you!

Sister Hurley<3

No comments:

Post a Comment